Monday, May 21, 2007

ARRRRRR - Guitar Making

Today I headed back down to the shed and started fixing to finish this guitar. I put the neck on and roughly located the bridge. My side-to-side is miles (1 cm+) out. How is that possible? I have removed the finish (tiny amount) from the neck. How can this difference be caused by the smallest layer of finish. Frustration is the name of the day in my house. I started on a new neck set but I know that I will never get that good a join again - I got lucky last time, I know that.

3 comments:

David said...

Wow, that is really strange. Is the neck heel sitting cleanly all the way around the neck joint with the body? If not, of course you know this but something might be holding the tenon from seating properly. That really is quite odd that it would be off that much from side to side. That would mean that one side would have had to swell or shrink 5mm, or a combination of swelling and shrinking to get that 5mm. Either way, that is a huge amount. What kind of humidity changes have you had? Are you 100% sure you have the straight edge dead center?

I know I would be checking every possible thing that could cause it to move before I started changing the neck joint that amount. Some pictures would be helpful.

Sam Price said...

Hi Ted...keep up the great work. Reading your blog makes guitar making more "honest"...my gosh, we all go through with setbacks.

Please tell us how you have coped with this...I used tightly laminated mahogany shims on one of my necks to rebalance it.

Anonymous said...

David - As always, thanks for the advice... even if I didn't follow it.

Sam - Thanks for dropping in. I am an admirer of your work. Your soundport has made me even more convinced that I will be putting on into number three... if I ever get there.