Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What have I done?

Well – I’m back!

At the beginning of every build, I am riddled with the question, “What have I got myself in for?” and this is certainly no different. I’ve spent another 100 hours on the LMI kit wizard and thought long and hard about what steps I can tackle, in an effort to challenge myself and those that I am just not prepared or equipped to have a go at – just yet.

As I mentioned below, I was lucky enough to stumble on an Australian kit guitar supplier. I went down and met Tim from Australian Tonewoods a week or so ago and tonight we put together my next kit.

It was a whirlwind experience, kind of like surfing the LMI kit wizard after having a dozen too many coffees. Tim was pulling out different types, sizes and shapes of wood from all over the place, feeding me the qualities, pros and cons for each sample as he handed me the product. I think he quickly worked out that my knowledge and ability is out weighed by my ambition – I’m sure the constant blank stare was a give away. Let me tell you that the choices are even harder when you are touching the wood.

My briefing to Tim was that I am more interested in the process of building rather than the cosmetics etc. Having had a look around his workshop, I am confident in saying he could have put together a kit serviced to the same standards of Stewmac and LMI but I really want to try a few more of the steps myself this time. Not having the equipment to do it myself, I’ve asked Tim to slot the fret board, thickness the top, back and sides – aside from that I think I am having a go at most of the other steps.

Anyway, it’s time I started making molds, dishes… learning how to sharpen chisels and the other dozen things I have on my to do list.

This one will be from the LMI OM plan. I chose this guitar solely because I have the Robert O’Brien DVD so I can follow his steps without making conversions.

Time taken :
Tools used :
AU$'s spent :

No comments: