Monday, March 05, 2007

Inlay Done - Not Happy

Tonight I tackled the inlay. It's a really rough job and I think it is going to stand out. The dark head plate on my OOO hides the bits where I went too wide. Let me tell you, this time I went wider and the wood is lighter. It's not going to be pretty.

I don't know. Obviously having the right inlay bit for the Dremel would have been a good start.

I feel a bit ill now. I've been wearing a headset with magnifying glasses build in and the constant changing in focal length has made me feeling a little off colour (there it is again David).

Tonight I am a little disappointed. Let's see what it all looks like when I sand it down.

Also started drilling the tuner holes. I have to buy a new drill bit... 9.5 mm - who owns a 9.5 mm drill bit?

1 comment:

David said...

Just a thought, maybe if it is too bad you could cut out a circle, oval, or square big enough for the letter to sit in with space around it, tack the letter in the center with some CA, and then fill the entire thing with epoxy darker or lighter than the headstock. That way it will look more like it was supposed to be done that way instead of a mistake. I am thinking about doing that on my next one. I saw the idea on Kathy Matsushita's website on this page http://pweb.jps.net/~msm/htmlpages/tc19.html
She outlined her inlay so the cutout was much larger than the pieces and when it was done it made the inlay look like it had a dark outline. I really like the look and am considering it on mine.