Sunday, April 22, 2007

Waiting

So my period of waiting has begun. I am leaving the KTM-9 for about three weeks in order for it to harden. I am thinking that a lot of my finishing problems with the OOO come from me rushing it. I have pencilled in the weekend of May 12-13 before I do any further work on this guitar.







and with all the waiting - the dreaming begins again. What do I do from here. I am 99.9% sure that now is the time I should try a scratch build. I am sure that I have now made enough online friends and contacts that I can source the information and assistance I would need if/when I ran into a hurdle.
The cost of kits will not fall the more I make and I don't think that I can justify spending that amount of cash I have to think of where all these guitars are going to go - or do I hang them on the wall and play them when I can?
Thinking aloud, before I move onto a scratch build, I need to complete or at least address these following points
- Learn to sharpen tools, in particular chisels

- Buy a band saw and consider buying a sanding station

- Order wood and supplies

- Construct a side bending machine

- Construct a mold

- Make a go-bar deck

- Make sanding dishes

3 comments:

Greg said...

Hey Ted,

That looks bloody fantastic.Well done.

You really have me thinking now about the "French Polish" finish I was going to put on mine.

The finish on yours looks like glass.I love the look of the top.

Looking forward to your next project.

David said...

Wow! Your guitar looks beautiful. I do have a question though, what is the black line on the neck-body joint? I never noticed it before during the build. Is it a shadow or something else?

As far as scratch building goes I have to say I am really enjoying it. It is a bit more intimidating than a kit but it is definately a lot more rewarding to me doing everything myself. I am still debating on what to do for my next one. One part of me wants to source all of the parts and wood from different suppliers, and the other part says that you just can't beat LMI's prices when you buy it all together using the kit wizard. There is a pretty significant price difference in a serviced vs. non-serviced kit and the non-serviced kit is a scratch build. It is nice though looking at all of those nice back and sides at different wood vendors.... drool!

Again, great looking guitar! I can hardly wait 3 weeks for you to get it all finished up.

David said...

Never mind on the black line. I figured it out that it is just a shadow from the neck not sitting tight on the body. It looked like a big fat piece of black plastic binding material at first glance! I was thinking, that's one way to hide a neck joint that didn't go very well! lol

(not saying your neck joint isn't good, it looks nice and tight from all the other pictures!)