Monday, July 24, 2006

Yippee

It's here! My new guitar is here. No Customs or import charges, just a friendly DHL fella handing over the two boxes. The gear was packed quiet well using brown paper and some sort of hessian material. At one end of one box, the tape was torn open but it appears this was more of a quick customs check than mishandleing by DHL.



The first thing that I noticed is that the wood feels cheap and thin. The sides feel more like the husk of a palm tree, not a quality piece of wood. Now, this is not a criticism, keep in mind that I know nothing on the subject but I was expecting to feel some weight to the wood. I guess when the total weight is in my hands, it will feel more like a guitar. I have read about people splitting sides etc, trying force the wood, I can now see how this is possible.



The sound board has a really nice feature of three distinct darker lines that run the length on the board, with the middle one passing through the soundhole. However, I am sure that this beauty is only on the surface and will disappear with a light sanding. I hope not.



One thing of note is that the sides I received are both (to my eye) flat. Others have mentioned that their StewMac sides are curved coming out of the box, this has not been the case in my situation. I am yet to work out the front and the back?





I am having a ball, examining all the little and big parts that come with the kit. Tonight, I will start watching the video. From looking at the pieces, some I am confident that I will be able to use, others have me scratching my head.

The wood - I just don't know yet. Today has been the worst winters day so far this year. It is cold and very wet outside, humidity is running about 75%. My wood will stay inside tonight and then maybe down to the workshop tomorrow.

I went for a short walk around my hardware store today. I honestly think that I will spend the cost of my kit again, buying new shiny tools.

I can't wait to get going.

Time taken : An hour - just looking and feeling
Tools used : Nil
AU$'s spent : Nil

1 comment:

Wayne said...

In my opinion, the kits are the way to get started. I finished one from LMI last year and it turned out to be the nicest guitar I have ever owned. I don't have experience with the Stew-Mac kit, but all of their other merchandise has been high quality. I would expect the same from their kit.