Thursday, November 09, 2006

Still fence sitting

I just can't commit. There is no doubt that I want to make a dreadnaught next but after playing around with the LMI Kit Wizard, the end price (for what I want) is AUD$722.53... and that isn't really an "all the fruit" package.

Now compare that with the StewMac Mahogany Dreadnaught at AUD$467.21 (plus cost of tuners)

Should I have another practive or just start making what I want and hope that I forget about the AUD$255.32 difference?

Is 3/4 of a thousand dollars too much to pay for a hobby? I have December off work and wanted to have the wood acclimatised and ready to go by then.

Time taken :
Tools used :
AU$'s spent :

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ted -

I'm pretty happy with the Stewmac mahogany dread kit. Not sure what LMI add-ons you're looking at, but if it were me I'd consider going with Stewmac again. Actually looking at LMI for the next one solely because I'm interested in LMI's 14-fret OM as opposed to SM's 12-fret 000 (and there are other steps you get to learn like trimming the sides).

On the other hand - my wife has encouraged me on every step to go ahead and spend the money on what I want. Better to spend more money and be satisfied, than spend less and be disappointed. You could argue that the smaller amount is the waste if it isn't what you actually wanted.