Sunday, February 25, 2007

The days are so busy at the moment, I have not been able to get down to the shed to put some hours in. My fellow builder, David, has braved freezing cold weather to overtake me... not that it is a race. It is just that you want to turn that box of wood and bits into something beautiful as quick as you can.

Maybe after dinner tonight, I will force myself to shape the head - once and for all. I've been putting it off for weeks now, thinking that I don't have the right tools...

1 comment:

David said...

You are right, it isn't a race. Freezing temps are pretty easy to deal with as long as I have a heater but 100 deg F temps are a whole different thing. If I was dealing with that kind of heat (which I will in a few months) I wouldn't be out there working either!

Have you thought about using a jigsaw or router to shape the peghead? I used my drill press with a rotary micro plane to rough shape mine and then used a router to do the finish shaping. The only place I used a bandsaw was to clip the two corners. That could have just as easily been done using a jigsaw or razor saw. A bandsaw really isn't required, although it is a lot of fun to buy one!

Take your time, have fun and most of all, don't sweat on the soundboard! :)