Monday, February 12, 2007

Emotional Overload

For some reason I am calm. For some reason I have not dropped to the ground and started bawling. For some reason I didn't even swear. I can not understand nor explain my emotions. I think it is an overload - most likely shock.







"What the ?!?" I can hear you all ask.

Very simply, I had scraped the binding and had started sanding the box. I had the guitar on my Black and Decker workmate, a stable enough surface. I turned to the work bench to change the sand paper and then as I turned back, I simply knocked the work mate and the guitar with my hip, in one small movement.

The guitar toppled and then "bounced" on the floor.

As you can see, the fall has cracked the binding along with the back. The back has cracked about 80 mm long and 30 mm across at it's widest. The cracked part of the back has lifted and in now resting, with a fair bit of force, on the main piece.

I don't know. Perhaps the tears will flow soon.

I've started to hit the web to find the best way to get this back into place and then disguise the muck up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Man, that's rough. Just remember that a good guitar will probably be dropped several times in its life, so you're really just giving this one preparation. Besides, a little mojo never hurt anyone.

David said...

I feel for you Ted, I really do. That just had to make your heart stop when it happened. I kind of know the feeling. When I was building my Dreadnaught, I had just finished the final sanding of the top and was turning the guitar around so I could sand the sides. I lost it and while it was falling, I tried to catch it. It bounced across my workbench but didn't hit the floor. After I wiped the sweat from my forehead, I looked at it to see that it landed top down on the claw end of my hammer, and then bounced. Needless to say, the top has 4 dings in it, and a small crack at the soundhole. I was able to make them mostly disappear, but I know where they are, and I can see them in the right light.

I am sure you can get it fixed okay. I read the posts in the forums and the superglue method is the way I would go. I have done smaller repairs on my guitars, and big ones like this on my RC airplanes using the same superglue method and it works well.

Good luck and keep us all posted.