Saturday, February 03, 2007

More binding and bright ideas

Well those bindings did not work out that bad and therefore I have gone ahead and stuck on the top bindings. I didn't get my router nerve back, so I didn't put in any purfling. The back looks okay, the binding is quite subtle.



Below is the only place that the binding did not glue on as it was meant to. There is an ever so small gap. I should be able to either re glue (unlikely) or patch it up with some saw dust/epoxy in the near future.



I have also made an invention that might help others. It is very technical and worked well for me. I have two rolls of blue masking tape, one is a couple of centimeters wide, the other is about 5 centimetres wide. In the past I have used the 2 cm wide tape for my bindings. I implemented using the wider of the tape this time around when securing the binding, it made things a lot quicker and cleaner.

I cut a 10 cm length of the tape and then made two cuts up the tape, almost all the way to the top. Effectively I end up with three pieces of tape which which are joined together. When It comes to the rush of getting the binding on, it seemed easier and quicker to use this tape. I could still apply pressure where and as I needed.

David and I have started this little to and fro over who has the best (or worse) weather. I am amazed by my icicles hanging off the roof, he may find it hard to believe that I am desperately trying not to drip sweat on my soundboard. Over 40 C/104 F degrees here again today. Too hot to work in the shed.

1 comment:

David said...

Hey, the binding looks great! I am anxious to take the tape off of mine to see how it turned out. I will do it after church today and will probably do the top binding and perflings too. We will see, it is Superbowl Sunday afterall, so I might be 'forced' to watch the game. lol 40 deg C huh, wow that is hot. I will take cold any day over that kind of heat. Looking at the thermometer right now, it is -13c. No worries about sweat on the sound board here!