Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Binding goes on

Sometimes I think I am getting worse at this whole guitar building thing. I routed (is that a word) our the binding channels on the top and back. I think I am unhappy with the channels. I couldn't control the router as well as I expected, perhaps my router cutting blade is blunt. Nothing seemed to flow and in some places the cut going in one direction was a different depth that the other way.

I just felt clumsy and uncoordinated.

Initially I had planned to put a thin purfling line in between the maple binding and the soundboard. I don't trust my routing ablilties/equipment to make such a thin cut.



I used a chisel and made very small adjustments and a file to smooth out the edges. Then I went ahead and glued the binding onto the back. I used the LMI white glue. My blue painters tape seems to suffer an alergic reaction when it gets near LMI white glue.

I think it's on. I think the binding is in place correctly. I can't wait to get that tape off to take a look.

Either way, tomorrow I am going to the fabric shop to get that twill tape. I'm not taking the chance with the top.

3 comments:

David said...

Hi Ted,

I have a question for you. What bits did you use when you did your inlay? I am looking at Stewmac's site and they have two styles and of course one is a lot more expensive than the other. Just curious of what you used and if you were happy with them.

David

Anonymous said...

I am also thinking about getting a new bit. Last time I used the engraving piece that came with my Dremel. It worked well but I think if you were really going to get into the fine stuff those proper inlay spiral bits would be the way to go. It was easy to hide the mistakes when the head was all the same colour. Having a lot of grain in this head I am wondering if the saw dust/epoxy will work. I might have to get the bit myself.

I didn't know what width to select and freight to Australia is aways an issue so buying from Stewmac and LMI is a luxury.

I had planned on going to the hardware store to see if what other bits were in the Dremel cabinet.

The pros use the Carbide bits that Stewmac sell. I don't think the other ones would leave you worse off, but the expensive ones might stay sharper and are designed for that purpose - not many.

My tip for inlay is - Do not try and get to the depth you want in the first go. Once you can't see the bit you can't see when you're going to wide. I use the Stewmac precision router base to keep my hand/Dremel steady, it works well.

Greg said...

Hi Ted,

I am just curious what "Set Up" are you using for routing the binding channel.

I have a Dremel and a 1/4 in trimmer, and I am tossing up which way to go...

(Hey,The good news is I am getting there!)

Regards

Greg