Friday, January 19, 2007

About to Close the Box

I am not spending as enough time on the computer of late. The brace work on the top is all but complete. I am up to the point where I take down the end of the braces that will not touch the sides and then a general cleanup.

One minor hurdle I did find is that the piece of wood supplied by LMI was not wide enough to cover the bridge reinforcement plate on the plan. In total there was only 5-10 mm different so I don’t think it is going to made a world of difference.

I’ve given up on this tapping idea. I can get the sound board to “ring” and then if I hold it in anther place, an inch away from the first point, the thud returns. I was thinking that I should hold it only where the cross brace would touch the edges as that will be a point where there will be little vibration at that point once attached to the sides. Then I thought, about how the tone would be affected by my fingers dampening the brace. At the end of the day, the braces are in the right location and they are somewhat visually pleasing. That’ll have to be the standard of my work until I’ve built a hundred or so and I can start to notice the changes and differences.

Let me say this. Sharp tools are definitely the way to go. I took the advice, researched scary sharp and did some work on the tools. I have definitely reached a better result than when I was using the oil stone. I can’t shave the hair of my arms yet but the quality of my work is a lot better.

At the end of my last build the note to self read, “Need more light”. At the end of this one, I think it’ll be “Need super sharp tools”

The back is appears to be sound, on the right curve and in alignment. I am happy. I have even started thinking about starting the neck. I will start the finish on the body as soon as I can, let it get real hard before I start working on it.

Time taken : A few hours
Tools used :
AU$'s spent :

2 comments:

David said...

Hi Ted,

Glad to hear the scary sharp info helped. I do cheat a bit, and use a sharpening jig to hold the angles correctly on my chisels. I do my knives by hand as I have had a lot more practice with them.

I like your idea of finishing the body while working on the neck. I never thought of doing it that way but it makes sense. I think I may just try that. Maybe I will have a better chance of NOT sanding through the finish this time!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's the idea. I am going to show some restraint this time and follow the instuctions, not my want to get it finished ASAP