Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'll ask LMI

Alright. I've taken my time, sat back and thought this through. I can not see anything that I have done wrong and I am starting to think that it may be an issue with the LMI neck.

Firstly here are the plans. You can see that they call for the over all length from the finger board surface to the surface where the heel cap is glued on is 97 millimetres, mine would be just a little longer than that, maybe 99 mill.



The plans give the length from the bottom of the fingerboard surface/top of the lid to the bottom of the back as being 100 millimeters.



Mine is 101 millimeters. Fine if you consider a good sanding of the top and back before finishing.



So as I did not trim or extend the neck block at all, I don't think that I have made any adjustments that would cause for the neck to be lower. It just can not be the block which has caused this problem.

That leaves the mortise and tenon and/or the location of the bolts (as it is a bolt on neck) that come through the neck block. Firstly the joint is very tight, there is little movement and the bottom of the the neck sits on the block.



Anyways, I have emailed the folk at LMI and they might be able to shed some light on what I of they need to do. As you can see, I am only a couple of millimeters away.

No comments: