Monday, January 22, 2007

I need help - I've mucked something up

I am lost. Stressing about neck sets again. I've mucked something up.

I have the box closed and I've lightly trimmed the sides. I am vey happy with the results. The box has a big, deep "BOOM BOOM" when I tap it. It's louder, deeper and more sustained that the OOO or my F40.



With the box closed, I turned my mind to setting the neck angle before I do the bindings and before I attach the fretboard. And this is where my latest stress started. Robbie O'brien's DVD is confusing as he is building from scratch and the written words of Ken Michael and Bill Corey are all blurring in together and I am confused. Let me try and explain...

I have routed out the mortise, to remove the sides that covered the tenon. When I install the tenon (as it would to align up with the bolts) the finger board surface (where the finger board will attach) sits lower than the top of the guitar.

The tenon is tight within the joint and it feels like it is in the right place. It'd like the whole thing is set too low, the heel cap is lower than the back but if I was to raise the tenon with the friendly plastic as mentioned by Bill, it would mean that the bolts and the truss rod won't align.

Looks like I have the same problem as over on Mind Clutter

I don't get it, I just know I have mucked something up? I can't get away from - "You were s'pose to trim the neck block" but I'm sure I measured that.Help me if you can?



A lesser concern is that the veneer and the head plate did not attach 100% to the head of the neck, it is slightly lifted on one side. I am confidant that this only applies to the first few millimetres so I won't show when I shape the head.



My happy moment for the last few days was getting mydaughters to sign the top - the pau ferro was a bit dark for lead pencil. I also managed to sign and date it myself.

2 comments:

JB said...

I'm the same way on the o'brien CD. I'm not a fan of the 'still picture' and words video ensemble.
It also confused the hell out of me. I tried to stick with the Cumpiano/Natelson book as much as possible.
I left you a note on the Kitguitar site regarding the heel/neck issue.
Good luck -

Jim B.

David said...

I have to agree with jb about the DVD. I find it to be more confusing than helpful. I am really glad the I built a Stewmac kit first so I can use that knowledge to get me through this one. I feel sorry for anyone who gets a LMI kit with the DVD for their first attempt at a guitar. I am not at the neck set yet, but I am sure that I will run into the same problem as you since I am following the instructions like you are. I am interested in seeing how you solve the problem.