Monday, January 29, 2007

Super Smooth Fretboards

My mate just bought a kit of his very own. A wood fire pizza oven kit. He asked me to come around and give him a hand. Now his kit weighs in at half a tonne. My back is sore and I’ve got twangs in muscles I did not know I had. I think I will stick to light weight kits.

Tonight, before the heat in the shed got to me, I used some 400 grit sandpaper to level down the inlay dots on the fret board surface. I am happy with the result, smooth and slick, but I maybe I should be concerned that the radius on the fret board may have changed. I can’t see it, I can’t feel it so I am not too worried.

Maybe I should go to a higher grit and look at giving the surface a polish. Can your fret board be too smooth? I guess there has to be some grip to a fretted string. Can’t say I have ever seen a well polished surface – there must be a reason.

Oh yer - the 14th fret marker is not centered. Shhhh don’t tell anyone. We’ll see what it looks like with 6 straight lines over the surface.

No comments: