Saturday, January 20, 2007

Moving Right Along

I've been down in the shed again, working away and making some progress. After these photos were taken, I cleaned up the braces with sandpaper and then I installed three braces on the sides. On each side, I put a brace above each of the lower bout braces and then one in between the two upper braces (does that make sense). There was no plan to where I put them, just basically where they went on my OOO. I looked inside my old Yamaha F40 and there were none of these side braces.





Although I went slowly in routing the channels for where the braces meet the sides, they are still messy. I improve my technique with each build so in another ten guitars or so, I will have have a decent finish. I am just glad that the bindings cover these joins.



I forgot to introduce to you my greatest invention, my patent pending, technical guitar holding device. It is a plastic flower pot. It holds the guitar up off the bench so I can work underneath.



As I was lazy with the mold, I need to maintain the 508mm length over the body. I set the distance on the back by trimming the centre back strip so when the blocks were pressed up during the gluing process the overall length of the back is 508mm. I am using cauls and a long quick grip clamp to pull the top end of the blocks inwards to 508mm. I marked the top and cut the brace channels with the plan that the top will eventually glue up at the same length. If the top and the bottom are both at the same length, then the blocks have to be somewhere close to square. That's the plan.

Lastly tonight, I made a simple start on the neck. I glued the veneer and the head plate onto the neck.



Time taken :
Tools used :
AU$'s spent :

No comments: