Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Let the Pictures Tell the Story

I took a lot of photographs of my progress tonight. I took a leaf out of Ken Michael's book and followed his process on getting the neck set. I don't really understand what I have achieved but I think it worked out okay. Don't worry, I'm confused as well.

But first, here is today's poser photo. It's starting to come together.



Okay, now for the neck set. I took a flat piece of pine and clamped it to the fretboard surface. The extension of the neck angle over the soundboard showed that there was a small gap at around the point where the fretboard will finish. I cut pieces of cardboard and stacked them up, until I felt some friction against pushing them in.



I then stuck these cards on the top of the neck's fretboard surface and lowered the neck joint so that the top of the cards were level with the sound board.



This is what it looks like once the cards have been removed.



Then I used a block which was half covered in sand paper to bring the soundboard down to the new level of where the neck meets the sound board. With me so far? Check out Ken's instructions if I am not making myself clear.

Any how, this is how it ended up, I sanded the soundboard down where the fretboard extension will come in contact with the soundboard and "blended" the area out to the soundboard. Obviously there is some final sanding to come still, you won't be able to tell.



So now when I return the original pine to the fretboard, the angle between the fretboard extension and the soundboard has been reduced. I can now barely get the cardboard underneath the pine.

No comments: