Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Like a Tail Chasing the Dog

Well, I've found the answer and I am not happy. I was thinking of calling this post "I just saved YOU some money!" because those that read it, and tackle an LMI kit, will surely appreciate that I've given you the heads up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my measurements or block settings, in fact I would say they are about perfect and reflect the effort that I put into getting them right. There is nothing wrong with my ruler, the plans or even the mortise and tenon joint.

My down fall has been my patience. My ability to not jump ahead. I had the answer the day the kit was mailed, I just didn't see it.

Inside a little plastic clip seal bag, LMI have included the bolts and washers required to attach the neck to the body. Also inside this bag is a piece of paper... (click to enlarge)



WHY!?!

Why would you put instructions on the need to trim the block AND tenon in a clip sealed bag, containing items which logically the builder is not going to use until he/she has glued the box shut?

LMI left a loose piece of paper in the kit with warning in relation to the truss rod why couldn't they do that with this notice. Why wouldn't they put it with the neck block, one of the first things that the builder is going to reach for?

I guess I am plugging the holes and drilling new ones. I just have to work out what will happen with the truss rod?

2 comments:

David said...

Interesting. I took the bolts out of that bag yesterday to check the neck before installing the soundboard and didn't even take that paper out of it to read. If you ask me, that is a terrible place to put a vital piece of information regarding the neck block installation. LMI really needs to think about taking that paper out of the bag and insert it into the envelope that the plans and other pieces of paper came in. If you read my blog from yesterday, you will see that I kind of accidentally backed into the solution without even trying. Unfortunately I am about 1 mm short too. I am writing an e-mail to LMI about this and I think it would be good if you did too. Maybe we can get this changed so others won't have this problem in the future.

JB said...

Yeah, that's pretty shoddy placement of important info...Hopefully they will figure it out.
-in regards to the truss rod fit...just file the hole bigger to allow for the fit. You can and may have to get right close or slightly into the edge of the soundboard to get the truss rod to fit without being too snug. You don't want the truss rod to be under tension from contacting the edge of that soundboard or the edge of the opening...give yourself plenty of room there.
OR you could drill that hole larger as well. (not my preference but...?)
Happy buildin'

JB