Monday, January 15, 2007

One Day

One day - I will learn how to sharpen tools. "You'll never cut yourself with a sharp knife" they say. I guess that applies to chisels as well. This afternoon I drove a chisel into my left index finger. I can still build but I won't be playing any guitars for a week or so... which is a shame because I am starting to get really happy with the set up on the OOO.

Today I pulled all the clamps off the side/back and cleaned up some of that glue squeeze out. That is another thing that I will have to learn how to do one day - clean up glue with out leaving a "snail trail" along the joint.

I glued on the finger braces and the top brace, I drilled the truss rod hole into the shoulder brace and then began shaping the ends of that brace. That was when the bleeding started.

I've also trimmed up the back so that it is only a about 5 mm proud of the sides.

I have come to the conclusion that I am NOT allergic to Pau Ferro

Time taken : A couple of hours
Tools used : Glue clamps, chisels, bandage, tape, Betadine, rulers, Dremel, StewMac Precision Router Base, pencils, sandpaper.
AU$'s spent : Nil

1 comment:

David said...

Ouch! I learned my lesson a long time ago about dull knives and chisels. I keep both my pocket knife and all of my chisels razor sharp all the time. I use a diamond stone for sharpening my knives, and use the "scary sharp" method for my chisels. You might want to do a quick google search on how to sharpen your chisels using the scary sharp method. It is very simple, and quite effective. Basically you use progressively finer grits of sandpaper to sharpen them. Once you get a little practice, you can get your chisels sharp enough to shave the hair on your arm with them. That is how I keep mine. The only downside to this is, if I slip, the cut is worse! I learned the hard way that when I drop a chisel, I never try and catch it!