Saturday, September 09, 2006

Buy Buy Buy

My little plan of having some inlay on the headstock has taken a slight detour. Making your own inlay from blank pearl is really hard - unless (I guess) you have all the equipment, which I do not. I spent a fair bit of time today trying to file, cut, trim and Dremel out some shapes that I have had in mind.

I have all but given up. I have ordered a couple of mother of pearl letters from Luthier Supply which will be my fall back plan. I am going to continue to try and make my own design but, not all is lost.

I've also settled also on the KTM-9 and placed the order - the freight is more than the cost of the product. U also ordered some black superglue because I can't find it anywhere here in Australia. Now I just have to source the Enduro grain filler. All I seem to be doing lately is spend money.

Odd as it may seem - I spent time tonight researching kits. Can you believe I am day dreaming about the second build already.



I think it's starting to come together well although I am a little worried about how much movement there is the neck joint. Too tired now, I'll worry about it tomorrow afternoon.



Time taken : An hour or so wasted on the useless inlay
Tools used : files, sandpaper, craft knives, dremel
AU$'s spent : $18.36 MOP letters and freight; $126.94 KTM-9, black superglue and freight.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Ted,

I think you will find the KTM-9 to give a good finish. I use it with a brush and it turned out pretty well.

Wayne