Saturday, September 16, 2006

Making Things Right

I've been thinking and worked out that the only way I could start to fix the problem is by shimming the cheeks on the neck and thereby putting some space in between the neck and the block again - no matter how slight that would space will be.

In the Stewmac bolt on kit, you also receive the mahongany that would have been required for the shims for the dovetail, this is the wood I used. Basically I traced the profile of cheeks and then made a shim about 5mm wide - the width of the shim. I glued them in place, leaving a slight overhang to sand back and blend in the neck, and using wax paper I used the body of the guitar and pressure on the bolts for clamping.



Hope it works.

Time taken : 20 minutes
Tools used : glue, craft knife
AU$'s spent : nil

2 comments:

Greg said...

Hey Ted,
Sounds like you are having a problem with the neck.I don't have any advise except,I stuffed up the neck on the first electric I build.I ended up cutting some shimms from some scrap ash I had,Filling the mounting holes with some splinters of ash and off I went.
Plays and looks OK and I am the only one that ever knew -till now!

Hang in there mate.It looks good.

Regards

Greg

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to document your process...problems and all. It's motivating me to try one soon.