Monday, September 04, 2006

Questionable Skills

My general wood working skills (or lack of them) are starting to come to the floor. I've all but sanded the back and sides and I must say that I am generally happy. Besides a couple of remaining marks, which I think were pressure points from clamps, and a few spots where I mucked up the bindings, it doesn't seem to look to bad. I would never have reached the same finish without the electric sander.

Tonight I finished hammering in the first 14 frets and then I trimmed up the edges and then tried to gently file back the edges. It's fair to say that I botched this up. I dragged the file edge a few times, leaving great big gauges out of the sides... a single stroke and there is a mark that I will not be able to remove. I will hide it - but it will always be there.

I used the sanding board to tidy up the edges and it worked well but gee those frets chew through the sand paper - I've renewed the sand paper and will finish it off tomorrow night.

Time taken : 1.5 hours
Tools used : sandpaper, electric sander, files, clamps, hammer, contact cement
AU$'s spent : Nil

No comments: