Saturday, August 12, 2006

Bits and Pieces

Today has been an odds and ends day. I am starting to get little parts started but I think it’s time that I pulled them all together and got back on track or I am going to start making mistakes.

Today I drew the center lines on my fingerboard and the then marked the edges. I planed up to within 5 mm of the side lines but then lost my nerve and put that away. The trust rod slides into the neck easily and because I am using the bolt on neck, there was no need to drill the hole as mentioned in the instruction manual.

I have chiseled the small braces down to nothing against the soundboard but I have no idea how big .100” is… That’s not on my conversion table so I will have to ask the internet after I finish this post.

I made the shoulder and bridge cauls as well although I think I might do them again. They are snug but not perfect. I might get Dad’s table saw out soon and make better ones.

Today I have learnt that using sharp tools (chisels) makes work neater and more professional in appearance. I will certainly be learning how to sharpen a chisel before I try to shape the diamond on the back of the neck.

I also made a caul for the back braces. Not having a ban saw, I am having a hard time working out how I going the cut the curve. I have tried using the auto body filling putty just as I did with the neck and end blocks. I have only made one so (if it works) it’ll be slow going putting the back together.

I am stuck on how to make the sanding board for the edges. How to make the 5 and 1 ½ degree angles have stumped. I only have my old high school protractor and I am not really confident that the measurements will be correct.

Tomorrow, Dad and I are going to the annual wood show, so I’ll get the chance to see lots of goodies and I might get a chance to start thinking about finishes.

Another opportunity to spend money. I did fairly well at Bunnings today, buying supplies I think I will need in the near future.

Time taken : 2 hours
Tools used : chisel, clamps, hand saw, sand paper, auto putty, hand plane, white pencil,
U$'s spent : Curves cutters (Fret snips) $14.95, wire brush $1.45, Soft faced hammer $14.85, masking tape $12.90, gaffa tape $6.40, Contact cement $6.20, sand paper $6.00

No comments: