Thursday, August 17, 2006

Feeling Good

Rushed home from work today, raced into the shed and starting tearing off those 34 clamps that were holding my soundboard down. I am really happy - It stuck. My greatest fear (second to the routing coming up) has been conquered.

Tonight I glued 80 grit to the 5 degrees side of my sanding board (should have done that days ago) and then I got busy with shooting the fret board. Word to the wise, this takes ages when you don't have a ban saw or similar to get up to the line. I started with the hand plane and then got worried about it tilting to an angle so I went to the board. I have worn grooves into my work top.



I am a little worried about the taper down to the head. What if I take too much down at the body end... Oh well, I'll just keep edging up to the white line.

Just one point on this - Sanding the fret board makes fine black dust. Your hands get covered in find black dust... Don't put your grubby dirty mitts on your lovely clean soundboard... you'll be upset and start looking forward to sanding off the mess.

Lastly, my inlay arrived today. Looks nice but now I am not so confident and I have no idea what pattern I am going to put in.

Time taken : 2 hours
Tools used : 80 and 120 grit, contact cement, long spirit level, string clamps, craft knife, white pencil, hand plane
AU$'s spent : Nil

No comments: