Monday, August 07, 2006

What am I doing?

It occurred to me this evening that I have no idea whatsoever as to what I am doing. It was as something as simple as putting the clamps onto the cross brace that I was reminded that I am not a master craftsman. How tight to you put the clamps on? The soundboard is such a thin piece of wood that if as soon as you put pressure on to the clamps, it bends. How much pressure does the glue need to form a sound bond? How much down force do those Gobar desks put on the braces... should I have used once of those?

Even the weight of the clamps has caused the soundboard to form a shape. I just don't know if the change in shape is a permanent fixture or not.

Still it can't be all my fault, I've notice that ever since I have put the rosette in place, the soundboard has curved slightly. I just hope that when all is said and done, the sides will force the top, the top will pursueded the back..etc and everything will be fine .

Time taken : 1 hour
Tools used : glue, 4 spring clamps, 4 clamps, cardboard/scrap wood etc for cauls
AU$'s spent : Nil

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Ted,

The picture of the soundboard braces looks fine. You do need the small braces around the soundhole for a little extra strength.

The curve in the braces is meant to pull the soundboard into a sort of a hemispherical shape. This is done to build some tension into the wood. The tension helps to counter some of the movement in the wood that you get with changes in humidity. I have also read that it has a positive affect on the tone.

I built my first without a go-bar clamping system. See the Cumpiano & Natelson book for a good description. The go-bar and radiused sanding dish make the process a little easier, but you can get by without them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the feedback Wayne, Nice to know someone is checking in on me. Obviously, I've posted the best photograph. Once it's togther I might show you an upclose photo to show you how rough my work is.