Saturday, August 05, 2006

Moving right along

It has been a fairly productive evening. I went to the shops and picked up a packet of pegs. Believe it or not, I could not find wood pegs anywhere so I had to settle for plastic ones - they appear to have fairly strong spring so they should do the job.

I learnt a valuable lesson tonight, a mistake I don't intend to repeat. Everywhere you read, people tell you to practice clamping before you glue. I found out tonight that this does not apply to kerfing. I had a couple of dry runs and worked out that it is better to start at the tail, otherwise the place where the next strip starts in in the waist. It appears easier to start at either block and work towards the middle. Anyway, bending the kerfing and moving it around obviously made it weak because is snapped. I have a 2-3 inch gap that needs to be patched up.



I also installed the rosette. This is the first time where I started to see how this instrument is going to be full of little tell tale signs that it was made by me, good or bad. I made the joins in the rosette as neat as I could however they appear quite messy close up.



From a distance I you might not be able to notice



The rosette was so tight. I don't think I actually needed to glue it in there. I am sure it won't be coming out in a hurry.

Time taken : 1.5 hours
Tools used : 92 plastic pegs, glue, Japanese saw, ruler, chisel
AU$'s spent : $12.00 for the pegs

No comments: