Sunday, August 20, 2006

Inlay is not for beginners

Having spent a good part of the afternoon and evening, throwing craft knives, chisels, and the Dremel across the workshop, I have formed the opinion that inlay work is really hard. Why StewMac would put square shaped fret inlays for beginners to put onto a curved fret board, I have no idea. Obviously round dots, the same shape as a drill bit would have been better.

I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the time, skill or equipment to competently (or close to it) inlay these markers. I'd prefer to have no markers than feel a bump or dip each time I move over the 5th fret.

Greg, one of the guys that checks in on me, pointed me towards Perth luthier Perry Ormsby. I see that he has guitar making classes and that he is quite experienced at inlay work. I've emailed Perry, asking if he holds inlay classes. Might be the best way I can learn this particular skill. Alternatively, I will leave out the fret board inlay steps and just try my hand at the headstock. I can live with an imperfect headstock It'll be like a personal touch.

So, I've moved ahead regardless. I finished shooting the fret board. It is close to being exactly the same width as the neck itself.



And lastly I put in the side dots. When did they stop marking the 3rd fret? I did it without thinking, then I looked at my other guitars – apparently I am the only maker that does it.



Somewhere in the middle of having inlay brain snaps, special moments with the kids and almost gluing my fingers to the fret board, I must have had a female moment... I cured all my problems with a quick, sharpe burst of rtherapyheropy. I've put my routing worries to rest and bought the StewMac precision router set up and a simple (cheaper) set of tuners... Initially I had planned on the snakewood tuners but, the cost is getting away from me at the moment. I refuse to start adding it up until I have the finished product... but I know it's going to be scary.

Time taken : 2 hours
Tools used : superglue, sandpaper (shooting board), all the inlay stuff (arrrhh), rounded clippers, craft knife, drill press, clamps.
AU$'s spent : $127.79 StewMac Precision Router Set, $40.84 Nickel Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite Slotted Peghead Guitar Machines, $36.82 postage.

No comments: