Thursday, August 03, 2006

Bugger...

I'm not sure how big a hurdle this is going to cause. Today, I took all the clamps off and found that somehow I must have let the ends slip apart from each other before I clamped them. I am left with a gap between the ends at the neck end. I am not really sure if this is going to cause me that much drama as this area of wood is going to be cut away in order to install the neck. The join appears solid but I wonder if this small error with cause problems with the sides being twisted slightly.



From what I can tell, I may be able to get away with this mistake. I'll throw it open to the forum and see what my brains trust have to offer.

On the flip side of the coin, I am happy with the join at the end.



I think I will put the frame together and await my answer - Hopefully the majority say that I'll be okay.

Time taken : Nil
Tools used : Nil
AU$'s spent : Nil

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Ted,

I wouldn't worry about the gap at the heel block. You have to cut a mortice for the neck tennon, so that area gets removed. Same for the joint at the tail block. People commonly put in an end-graft there to hide that joint. I'm not familiar with the SM kit, but you will probably sand the sides a bit before the top and back are attached. This will take care of the small bit of twisting.

Looks good! Keep it up and you will have one nice looking guitar.

Wayne

Blog said...

Thanks very much for the advice and kind words. Much appreciated.