Sunday, August 13, 2006

Box coming together.

Well I was a little disappointed with the wood show. I guess it would have been okay if you were looking for a piece of machinery but there was no makers of instruments, no stalls dealing with finishes or paints and nothing in relation to inlays or decorations etc. It really didn't suit someone in my position.

I did get a chance to look at the Dremels and a lot of similar tools and a few small routers and trimmers. I think I am going to settle on the Dremel and go ahead and order the precision router kit from StewMac. In relation to routing the I am (again) flipping from one choice to another. It is my latest task that I am worried about, as to whether or not I will be able to complete it properly.

At the wood show, I bought the biggest, flashest and hi tech(est) protractor that I saw. I got it home and then I found out that it did not measure below 15 degrees - great. I had a quick sulk and then got out that old plastic school protractor and made the sanding board, cutting the angel with a jigsaw. After all the thinking and planning, dumbing it down worked fairly well.



I used contact cement to attach a piece of 80 grit sandpaper to the board and then sanded back the top edge. The sanding seemed to go well however the vibration made a gap between the inner cardboard mold and the edges. I squared the ends up again and there does not appear to be any dramas.

After that I notched out the kerfing where the braces a meant to touch. The top seams to close tightly but I have no idea if the braces are still making contact with the kerfing.

I would have thought for a beginners kit that there would have been more overlay in the soundboard. When I measure 5 3/8" from the top of the sound board the mark is right at the top. There is only 1/8th of an inch allowance at the bottom. Tight.

While I had the jig saw out, I also cut the curve (best I could) for the back braces and I glued the first two into place.

Time taken : 3 hours
Tools used : chisels, jigsaw, handsaw, protractor, sandpaper, contact cement, file, rulers, clamps, glue, black and white pencil, T-square.
AU$'s spent : $19.00 on a protractor I can not use.

No comments: