Monday, August 21, 2006

My soundbox is closed

I am over the moon. Tonight I pulled off all the clamps and held in my hands the closed sound box. When I held it up to the light there was not a single spec of light coming through. It feels strong and when I lay the back on a smooth surface it rocks both length ways and from side to side... it's even curved like it was designed to be.



If you look hard, you can see where the kids wrote on the back, but you have to go looking for it.

Tonight I cleared out the top of the soundboard where the neck will attach and then I started to trim down the edges. This job, I suggest you do in phases because I found myself getting cocky with the chisel and really digging in. It would not take too much to drive the chisel right into the sides.

I also finish off my side dots. This was most likely the easiest thing that I have done to date. It may have been harder if I didn't have the drill press but the results are instant and easy to get correct.

Perry Orsmby returned my email. Unfortunately he does not have inlay classes but he has offered to provide a quote as to what it will cost to do it for me. I am a little undecided on this one. Perhaps I should leave them out, after all maybe everything should be done by my hands.

Time taken : 1.5 hours
Tools used : shooting board, craft knife, chisel
AU$'s spent : Nil

No comments: