Saturday, August 19, 2006

More expense

Today I went down to the hardware shop and picked up a Dremel. I've already drawn blood after engraving the end of my finger - great peice of kit. Dad tells me that he will use it all the time so obviously the expense is not wasted on this one project.

It's been one of those days where I've not been able to make a sound start on anything. I cut out the mold this morning and started gluing on the side braces and then I renewed the sand paper on the sanding board.



I marked out the places on my fret board where the snow flake inlays will go and then I started having dry runs at cutting out the squares for the inlay to slot into. I am getting really worried that my skill levels are not high enough to make a decent job out of putting these inlays. Will I be able to get them in neatly without ruining the whole look of the guitar? I hope so. I've gone to the Guitar Builders Forum in an effort to find some ideas as to how to get them in neatly.

The best way I've found so far is to use the Dremel to hollow out the square. I cut the shape required from a piece of masking tape to use as a guide. I can get the piece to fit nicely, just the edges of the square are not sharp. Will this matter? I don't think these inlays are at a beginners level.



Time taken : 2 hours
Tools used : Glue, clamps, pencils, Dremel, drill, craft knife.
AU$'s spent : Dremel $126.00, Clear glue $12.98

1 comment:

earl said...

hi ted!
cool blog; i like the pictures and the write ups following your guitar building experience. hope you don't mine i'vei put up a post on my site http://www.guitarguitarguitar.blogspot.com/ on your blog!
cheers,
earl