Monday, August 14, 2006

No work today

No work today, so Ted gets to play.

This morning I headed off to Bunnings again to get supplied to make the spool clamps. A suitable length and size of dowel was going to cost something like $50.00 so I had a little head scratch and came up with an alternative.

I bought two 70 X 30mm X 0.9M pine boards, five 24 X 1/4 inch all threaded steel rod, 30 1/4 inch nuts and 30 washers.

When I got home, I made up the table saw and cut the board into one inch wide blocks, thirty of them. Then I drilled a 1/4 inch hole through each one and using super glue, stuck on a piece of the thick cardboard left over from making the inner mold.

Once all together, I ended up with 15 clamps - Which leaves me 15 clamps short as it turns out. I will but have to duplicate the whole procees again tomorrow before I am able to tackle closing the box.

Not content on having spent enough cash today - I flipped out the old Visa card and bought an once of inlay pearl from Australian Luthier Supplies. Your guess is as good as mine as to what I am going to do with it but my plan is to have a go at making some sort of signature inlay. Crazy thinking maybe.

Time taken : 3 hours
Tools used : hack saw, saw table, drill press, super glue, rulers, pencils
AU$'s spent : Items detailed above $27.11

No comments: