Thursday, August 10, 2006

Top braces on

Today the last of the braces for the top went on and they are now ready for shaping. The soundboard has certainly gained weight - a lot heavier than I expected. Although I've got nothing to compare it with, I am happy with the result.



While the last of the braces were in clamps I trimed the headstock overlay, drill out the centres and filed and sanded the basic shape. Obviously I need more sanding and I have to work out how much room the strings need, but it's coming along okay. I found that it was easiest to form the shape by wrapping a sheet of sand paper around a thick texta. The round shape sanding surface made it easier to form the shape required.



Time to start slowing down I think. Perhaps I am getting a bit of confidence but I feel like I am going too fast and backing myself too much. Tonight I dragged the file right across the top of the head stock overlay. I've got no doubt that it'll sand out very quickly but still, I'm getting to the stage where my mistakes will show up - they won't be inside the box.

Time taken : 2 hours
Tools used : Glue, rags, clamps, craft knife, file, sand paper and texta.
AU$'s spent : Nil

No comments: