Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What a poser !

I have become a poser. I spent a couple of hours in the shed this evening, thought about half an hour was spent standing back looking at my guitar. I got closer to finishing the edges off, getting ready for routing and then as a treat, I put the neck on, clamped the fret board in place just so I could have a look (and feel) what my guitar will finally look like.



Who would have thought a couple of months ago that I would be at this stage? Not me, that's for sure. If you are sitting back, reading this and wondering "could I, should I?" Then go for it - I can not explain the feeling, the first time you put it together and hold it like a guitar - Imagine what it will be like the first strum.

I have however remembered why I was never a big fan of wood work at school. I have very little patience, sanding wood for extended periods. I tend to lose interest very quickly and say to myself "that's enough" - That will not be acceptable.

When I took the chisel to the edges, I went too hard right in the curve of the waist and had a little bit of what I now know to be "tear out". I don't think it's too bad and I should be able to cover it with the binding.



I heard back from Perry, he has quoted $100.00 to inlay the 7 pieces into the fret board. I am still a little hung up on doing all this myself. I am going to give it a couple of days thought. Might have a play with the Dremel router when it arrives.

Time taken :1.5 Hours
Tools used : Chisel, sandpaper, craft knife
AU$'s spent : Nil

3 comments:

Wayne said...

Ted,

It looks very nice! I imagine everyone does the same thing as soon as it starts to look like a guitar.

You might want to hold off on the sanding until the bindings are on. I use a scraper at this stage. It goes a lot faster than sanding.

Wayne

Blog said...

Wayne, You'll notice that I have not really gone to town with the sanding. The photo above I wanted to capture the difference in the raw surface. I just noticed that after a few minutes, I was bored with sanding

earl said...

hey ted,
looks great! you have reason to be proud.
earl