Sunday, August 27, 2006

Routing out the binding channels

Today I conquered one of my remaining fears about guitar kit making, I routed out the binding channels. That just leaves fretting, inlays, shaping, finishing, setup left to worry about.

I ended up using the StewMac Precision Router Set which made my first routing experience quite simple. After about twenty practice runs, I was finally happy with the depth and width of the cut and off I went. No worries. I heard a couple of pops or bumps a couple of times but there was no tear outs or any damage.



The back however was a totally different issue. Making the five degree wedge was only as difficult as it was for the sanding board. Getting the wedge onto the router and still having room to set the bit without hitting the edge guide was near impossible – I don’t get it.



At the time I was listening to the radio and the Eagles losing caused me to go a little postal. I sat back stewing and starting thinking “5 degrees is next to nothing over that distance…. No one will notice…. It’s the back” I routed my back without the wedge – I’ll let you know the result end result but it doesn't look too bad now.



No all I have to do is find a glue to stick those bindings on with. That in itself it going to prove difficult – four pieces of plastic, wet with glue and lining them up and getting a finish that I can accept.

I couldn't get the weldon-16 cement that StewMac use because they can not export it. I've been doing research at my hardware store and bought some glues which I am doing small trials on. I have decided to follow Bill Cory's idea of covering the sides with low adhesive masking tape.

I've gone to the forum to find a substitute cement or glue for the bindings

Time taken : 2 hours
Tools used : Dremel, StewMac Router set, jigsaw, sand paper, scrap wood
AU$'s spent : $24.00 - masking tape, $7.35 - Kwik Grip sovlent based cement, $14.00 Titan Bond epoxy resin

No comments: